Whatcha reading?

Whatcha reading?

Monday, September 22, 2014

Devil In the White City: Erik Larson

This book covered EVERYTHING that seemed to happen during the World's Fair in Chicago. It was interesting to know which things that exist today that were a result of the fair; juicy fruit, cracker jacks, shredded wheat, the Ferris wheel etc. I went back and forth between enjoying the complete history and not. It was interesting, but I felt as though I had to keep changing my mind set with each new chapter. This book covered in detail the architects of the world's fair, the mayor, the killer, and some of his know victims. The story wove back and forth between the characters and happens at the fair and at times I felt everything was included because there wasn't enough information on each to make a book on its own. I also didn't know what the start and end added to the book, it was about one of the architects being on a ship that was supposed to help the Titanic after hitting the iceberg. It was interesting that one person would experience certain events, but by the time I got to the end I had completely forgotten about that story. I was a little surprised there didn't seem to be much of a wrap up on the killer. We will never know how many victims he actually had and what happened to those missing girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment